This position will support APAC hours.
Who is Percona?
Percona is an industry leader in providing elite services, training and software for MySQL®, MariaDB®, MongoDB®, PostgreSQL® and other open source databases in on-premises and cloud environments. Our services and software accommodate rapid growth and application development, help companies develop and deploy agile solutions and improve your ability to keep up with customer needs.
The Percona Support Team…
Percona Support is a global, elite team of engineers who love getting to the bottom of weird and interesting database behaviour. We understand our customers’ business needs and the nuances of their technical environments. This allows us to help our customers see the big picture and identify opportunities to improve their overall database infrastructures.
What you’ll be doing…
You’ll be teaming with some of the most well known database experts in the industry who are even better teammates, friends and mentors. You’ll have the opportunity to develop your own skills and become more powerful than you can possibly imagine…. with databases.
This is not a boring, entry-level role where you’ll just be triaging the boring and monotonous.
Your main responsibility will be helping our customers’ DBA teams when they need expert assistance. You’ll do that by gathering relevant data and investigating issues to provide a detailed analysis of your findings in a digestible format by email, instant message or voice. For more serious and production impacting issues, you’ll perform screen sharing sessions to help them quickly navigate and resolve issues.
When you’re not fixing things, you’ll be authoring new blog posts on interesting topics for our open-source community to digest, answering questions on our forum, creating new articles in our customer facing knowledge base for more frequently seen issues, and hosting webinars amongst other things.
This is a remote role, so you can be located anywhere in the world. All you need is a decent, stable internet connection.
What does it take to be a Percona superhero?
- Excellent knowledge of both RDBMSs and MongoDB, including:
- All aspects of configuration and best practices
- Schema design, performance tuning, query optimization, & index tuning
- Backup solutions
- Replica set and sharding topologies
- Engine selection and usage
- Detailed understanding of monitoring requirements
- Demonstrable experience of administering Linux based systems
- Knowledge about virtualized environments such as VMWare, Docker and/or Kubernetes
- Knowledge about cloud providers (AWS, Google Cloud, Digital Ocean and/or Azure)
- Ability to troubleshoot methodically, identifying and applying fixes for known errors, and when necessary, capacity to think outside of the box to resolve complex issues
- Enthused to expand your skill set with new technologies as the industry continues to evolve
- Availability to travel for the occasional team meeting, conference and customer visits
- Experience working with customers in English
- Completed MongoDB University courses
It's cool if you also have experience with:
- Percona Backup for MongoDB
- Experience with MongoDB Atlas
- MySQL/Postgres DBA troubleshooting (basic level or higher)
- Nagios, Percona Monitoring Plugins and other monitoring tools
- Configuration management solutions such as Ansible, Puppet or Chef
- Percona Toolkit suite
- Writing Python and Go
- MySQL and/or MongoDB certificates
Remote work from home openings require consistent and strong internet access.
HQ is in Durham, NC USA. Staff members should be available if there is a need for any onsite trainings and/or events at any time.
Note that your legal agreement will be with Percona Staffing LLC, a USA corporation and a subsidiary of Percona LLC.