Bloom and Wild
Bloom & Wild is re-inventing the $60B global flower industry. Over a billion flower exchanges take place every year and industry satisfaction levels are low. We are using technology and data science to build the world’s leading and most loved flower company. We’ve seen impressive traction to date - we are Europe’s largest direct to consumer flower company, are growing at 100% year on year and are in a strong position financially (and have been extremely fortunate to see growth remain strong during the Covid-19 crisis).
We’ve raised multiple rounds of venture capital and private equity funding, have been named one of the 5 fastest growing tech companies in Europe and are alumni of Tech Nation’s Future Fifty. We were also one of the Sunday Times Top 100 Small Companies to Work For 2020.
Business Development Technology at Bloom & Wild
The overall Bloom & Wild team is now over 100 people. You’ll be a part of our new Business Development Technology squad, one of four squads in our Technology team, that consists of a small, close-knit team of developers, a product manager and a tester. The squad works closely with our Business Development team on solutions that accelerate growth outside our UK core business.
The squad focuses on:
- Critical core technology that lies at the heart of our company's expansion, and is used by both our internal teams and our external suppliers.
- Using technology to help build our international markets, develop new distribution channels and support the development of new products and services.
- Supporting our broader strategy to break up our platform into a set of smaller services
You can read more about our technology and culture over on our tech blog - Code & Wild.
The role and ways of working
- You’ll play a leading part in delivering the Business Development and Technology roadmaps. This will mean writing, reviewing and supporting code in our platform, taking ideas from requirements to production code, and being responsible for quality at every step along the way
- You’ll work with some great technology. Our backend platform, currently using Ruby 2.6.5 and Rails 6 is backed by PostgreSQL, Fargate/ECS on AWS, with APIs that are used by our Angular 7 webapp and our native mobile apps
- As well as being a member of the Business Development squad, you'll also join our established and senior Ruby on Rails community (currently 9 people and growing) and work alongside Frontend, Mobile Apps, Web, and Data engineers and testers who make up our 24 person Technology team
- The role will suit someone who is looking for a career opportunity in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- You will bring energy and positivity to the role, looking for every opportunity to learn and craft the role around our values; care, pride, customer first, innovation and delight
- As an experienced Ruby developer (2 years+) you’ll have detailed knowledge of Ruby on Rails in a production environment and some experience of test-driven development
- Experience working with RESTful APIs and ideally you will have built new ones, used version control tools such as GitHub, CI tools such as Codebuild, and testing tools like RSpec/Cucumber or similar.
- You’ll be keen to learn and stay up-to-date with the latest technologies, favour working and usable MVPs, and using real customer feedback to continuously iterate and improve our technology
- You’ll take a collaborative, data-driven and experimental approach to solving complex problems, and be able to demonstrate the ability to foster this mindset in your colleagues
Nice to have
- Experience working in a fast-growing (preferably consumer-facing) startup
We care about creating a diverse and inclusive team - it's what helps us generate the best ideas and grow faster. We want to make giving and receiving gifts a joy for everyone, and to do this we need people from all backgrounds, with different perspectives and ideas. We welcome anyone to apply, with the knowledge that you’ll have the freedom to give your opinion, do your best work and be part of a genuinely inclusive, friendly and caring team.
Currently our full team is working from home and adapting quickly to being totally remote. In addition to our normal perks and benefits we’re supporting each other and maintaining our culture remotely through:
- Regular virtual yoga classes with more virtual exercise variety to come!
- Celebrating birthdays with letterbox cake
- Weekly ‘team drinks trolleys’ and updates from our senior team
- Remote lunch and learns
- Supporting our wellbeing through online support sessions and employee assistance program
- New slack channels and ways of communicating including wellbeing channels
- Specialist online support to talk about the challenges we are facing in the current environment
When we’re in the office
Our lovely, light and spacious office is conveniently located close to Vauxhall and Oval stations in London. We have an informal, startup culture, with employee-friendly policies such as:
- 25 days holiday, with an additional day off for your birthday, plus bank holidays, totalling 34 days, per annum
- Free breakfast, snacks and team lunches
- Season ticket loan
- Childcare Vouchers
- Health cash plan through Simplyhealth
- Personal Development Budget
- Family Friendly Policy - including enhanced family friendly packages and a salary sacrifice childcare scheme
- Pension Contribution
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Lunch & Learns
- Discounted blooms
- Bloom & Go Wild trips - most recently we went to Paris!
We apply our five key values (delight, customer first, care, innovation and pride) in our day to day activities and reward those who are encompassing them exceptionally. Everyone is friendly and sociable, with regular company-wide events.
Before you start you’ll be able to choose whatever laptop you need, a widescreen monitor to plug into and whatever other tools you need.
See more on life at Bloom & Wild here.
Our Recruitment Process
The interview process consists of a thirty minute phone call with one of our Engineering Managers. If that goes well then we’ll send you an offline technical exercise in Ruby. We don’t want you spending more than two hours on it (and we appreciate that you may have commitments that make doing the test impossible - if that’s the case then please let us know and we can discuss alternatives).
Given the current situation in the UK due to COVID-19 then this will be followed by a series of remote interviews. During this time you’d get the chance to meet with some of the squad, talk with our VP Engineering Steve and one of our Product Managers and find out what it’s like to work for Europe’s fastest growing online flower company